HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Animals have been known to wiggle into some small places, but one baby raccoon found itself in a tight spot Tuesday.
Firefighters in suburban Detroit were called to rescue a raccoon with its head stuck in a sewer cover, MLive reported.
Harrison Township Firefighters Local 1737 wrote about the Tuesday rescue on Facebook, noting that multiple tools were used to free the animal.
Lt. Brian Lorkowski of the Harrison Township Fire Department said that after receiving a call from animal control, the firefighters considered trying to cut the raccoon free. However, they realized that was not a promising option.
“We didn’t want to put a saw too close because it could heat up the cast iron and injure the animal, and we didn’t want to nick it with a saw,” Lorkowski told MLive. “We were trying all different kinds of options to not try and hurt it, but it was stuck in there really good.”
The firefighters tried some household items but failed, and the animal was not keen to cooperate.
“We first put dish soap around its neck, but that didn’t work. We had gloves on because it was biting and scratching,” Lorkowski told MLive. “Then, a homeowner brought out cooking oil. We were able to guide it out then, but it was hard getting it out. I don’t even know how it got stuck in there to begin with.”
Once the animal was freed, officials with Macomb County Animal Control checked it for injuries, WZZM reported. There were none, and firefighters were left to talk about an unusual incident.
“I can’t remember any raccoon rescues,” Lorkowski told MLive. “I think this is my first, but we get ducks all the time that fall in the storm drains.”
©2021 Cox Media Group