Now Playing
K92.3
Last Song Played
Orlando's Country

gen politics

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Teen wearing 'MAGA' hat in controversial viral video speaks out in new interview

The teen seen wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat in a controversial viral video recorded last weekend outside the Lincoln Memorial told his side of the story in a "Today" show interview.

>> Watch the full interview here

The polarizing video showed Nick Sandmann, a junior at Covington Catholic High School in Park Hills, Kentucky, grinning and standing inches away from Vietnam veteran and former Native Youth Alliance director Nathan Phillips on Friday during the Indigenous Peoples March. Phillips can be seen drumming and chanting in the clip.

In an interview that aired Wednesday morning, Sandmann told "Today" host Savannah Guthrie that the incident occurred after members of another group, the Hebrew Israelites, called his school group "homophobic, racist, derogatory" names.

>> Teen wearing MAGA hat in protest video issues statement

"Our school was slandered by the African-Americans who had called us all sorts of things," Sandmann said.

The Hebrew Israelites, however, claimed that the Catholic students started the dispute, "Today" reported. But Sandmann said his group had been yelling school spirit chants.

"Did anyone shout any insults back or any racial slurs at the group?" Guthrie asked Sandmann.

>> Trump says Catholic students ‘treated unfairly’ after encounter at National Mall

"We're a Catholic school, and it's not tolerated," Sandmann replied. "They don't tolerate racism, and none of my classmates are racist people."

As the boys and Hebrew Israelites continued to clash, Phillips and other Native Americans stood between the two groups. Soon, Sandmann and Phillips were standing face-to-face. 

When asked what he had been thinking at the time, Sandmann said he just "wanted the situation to die down."

"I just wish he would've walked away," he said.

>> Actress Alyssa Milano calls red Trump MAGA hats ‘the new white hoods’

Although Phillips said he heard students yelling, "Build the wall," Sandmann denied the claim.

"I never heard anyone say, 'Build the wall,' and I don't think I've seen it in any videos," Sandmann said.

When Guthrie asked Sandmann why he didn't walk away, Sandmann said that in retrospect, he wishes he had.

"I didn't want to be disrespectful to Mr. Phillips and walk away if he was trying to talk to me," he said.

Sandmann said that contrary to what critics have said, he was not smirking at or taunting Phillips.

>> Read more trending news 

"I see it as a smile saying that this is the best you're going to get out of me," he told Guthrie. "You won't get any further reaction of aggression."

Sandmann said he has the "utmost respect" for Phillips.

"It’s another person that freely used his First Amendment right, and I want to thank him for his military service, as well," Sandmann said, adding that he'd "certainly like to speak" with Phillips.

Sandmann said he has received both supportive and negative messages in wake of the incident.

"People have threatened our lives," he said.

Read more here.

'Fox & Friends' apologizes for mistakenly airing Ruth Bader Ginsburg obituary graphic

"Fox & Friends" has apologized for mistakenly airing an apparent obituary graphic for Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

According to USA Today, the image of Ginsburg, overlaid with her name and the dates 1933-2019, aired Monday morning before co-host Ainsley Earhardt introduced an unrelated report featuring a college professor.

>> See the moment here

The show's hosts later addressed the issue.

>> Read more trending news 

"We need to apologize," said co-host Steve Doocy. "At the beginning of Ainsley's interview with the professor, a technical error in the control room triggered a graphic of Ruth Bader Ginsburg with a date on it. We don't want to make it seem anything other than that was a mistake. That was an accident. We believe she is still at home recovering from surgery."

Earhardt echoed the sentiment, saying, “We apologize. Big mistake.”

>> Watch the apology here

In a statement, Fox News told USA Today that the incident was "a technical error that emanated from the graphics team."

Ginsburg, 85, had cancer surgery in December and has missed some court arguments as she recovers at home, The Associated Press reported Jan. 11.

Read more here.

Lady Gaga slams Trump over shutdown, Pence over LGBTQ rights

Lady Gaga isn't holding back when it comes to her feelings about the partial government shutdown and LGBTQ rights.

>> Bon Jovi's restaurant to serve free meal to federal workers furloughed during shutdown

According to Billboard, the award-winning singer and actress got political during a weekend show in Las Vegas, blasting President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence. 

>> Watch the moment here (WARNING: Linked video contains profanity.)

"If the [expletive] president of the United States could please put our government back. ... There are people who live paycheck to paycheck and need their money," she said to cheers from the audience.

Gaga also slammed Pence and his wife, Karen Pence.

>> Read more trending news 

"To Mike Pence, who thinks it's acceptable that his wife works at a school that bans LGBTQ: You are wrong," she said, calling him "the worst representation of what it means to be a Christian."

Gaga was referring to reports that the second lady was hired by Immanuel Christian School in Virginia, where students can be expelled or denied admission for “condoning sexual immorality, homosexual activity or bi-sexual activity,” according to the Washington Post.

Read more here.

Bon Jovi's restaurant to serve free meal to federal workers furloughed during shutdown

As many federal workers go without paychecks during the partial government shutdown, rock star Jon Bon Jovi is stepping up to help.

>> ‘SNL’ takes on government shutdown with 'Deal or No Deal' parody

According to WNBC, the "Livin' on a Prayer" singer and his wife, Dorothea Hurley, own JBJ Soul Kitchen, a nonprofit New Jersey restaurant whose customers usually volunteer or make a donation in exchange for meals. But thanks to a partnership with the Murphy Family Foundation, furloughed federal employees can eat for free from noon to 2 p.m. Monday at the restaurant's Red Bank location. 

>> Trump offers deal to end shutdown in Saturday speech

"In line with our mission, federal workers are encouraged to join us for a delicious meal and to learn about additional support and resources available in our community," the restaurant said in a Facebook post Saturday.

>> See the post here

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

In a statement, Bon Jovi and Hurley said they wanted to "create a place of support and resources for furloughed federal workers, many of whom are our friends and neighbors," WNBC reported.

>> Read more trending news 

The couple also said they are "thrilled" to be working on the project with New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy and his wife, Tammy, who run the Murphy Family Foundation.

Read more here.

'SNL' takes on government shutdown with 'Deal or No Deal' parody

The government shutdown got the game show treatment as "Saturday Night Live" returned to TV screens this weekend.

>> Government shutdown: Senate to take up Trump plan this week

Saturday's episode, hosted by actress Rachel Brosnahan, didn't waste any time tackling the issue, pitting Alec Baldwin's Donald Trump against parodies of Democratic leaders in a "Deal or No Deal" spoof.

>> Watch the sketch here

"We decided to do this in the only format you can understand – a TV game show with women holding briefcases," Kenan Thompson, playing Steve Harvey, told Baldwin's Trump as the game began. 

>> Trump offers deal to end shutdown in Saturday speech

The fake Trump opened with an offer to extend Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and "release the kids from cages so they can be free-range kids" in exchange for $5 billion toward a border wall. But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Kate McKinnon) wasn't having it.

"OK, $1 billion and you say, 'Nancy's my mommy,'" she countered, opening a briefcase bearing the same words. 

Baldwin's Trump refused, then called on Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (Alex Moffat).

>> Read more trending news 

"My offer is whatever you want," Moffat's Schumer said before changing his offer to, "$15 and a pastrami on rye."

Baldwin's Trump also turned to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Beck Bennett) and Democratic U.S. Reps. Maxine Waters (Leslie Jones) and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (Melissa Villaseñor) before accepting a deal from a Clemson football player (Pete Davidson) with a box of fast food.

"Hamberders," it read – a reference to a spelling mistake in one of Trump's tweets.

Read more here.

Rudy Giuliani claims he 'never said there was no collusion' between Trump campaign, Russia

In a Wednesday interview with CNN's Chris Cuomo, Rudy Giuliani claimed he has never said "nobody" involved with President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign colluded with Russia – just that Trump himself did not.

>> Watch the clip here

>> Jamie Dupree: Pelosi suggests delay for Trump State of the Union due to shutdown

"I never said there was no collusion between the campaign or between people in the campaign," said Giuliani, Trump's personal attorney. "I have no idea."

"Yes, you did," Cuomo interjected.

>> Jamie Dupree: Mueller not involved in ‘witch hunt’ over Russia probe, Barr says

"No, I did not," Giuliani said. "I said the president of the United States. There is not a single bit of evidence the president of the United States committed the only crime you could commit here – conspired with the Russians to hack the DNC."

>> Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani: 'Collusion is not a crime'

"First of all, crime is not the bar of accountability for a president," Cuomo replied. "It's about what you knew, what was right and what was wrong, and what did you deceive about. Those are the major considerations."

>> Read more trending news 

"The president did not collude with the Russians," Giuliani said, claiming that Trump never said "nobody" in his campaign colluded with Russia.

"He said he didn't," Giuliani said.

"He actually did say that, Rudy," Cuomo said.

According to the Washington Post, Trump frequently has denied that his campaign colluded with Russia.

"The Trump campaign did nothing wrong – no collusion," Trump tweeted in February 2018

>> See the tweet here

Six months later, he tweeted: "Russian Collusion with the Trump Campaign, one of the most successful in history, is a TOTAL HOAX."

>> See the tweet here

Additionally, Trump wrote in December that "Democrats can't find a Smocking Gun (sic) tying the Trump campaign to Russia after James Comey's testimony." 

>> Read it here

Giuliani appeared to back similar statements in a July interview with Fox News' Guy Benson, the Post reported.

"Is it still the position of you and your client that there was no collusion with the Russians whatsoever on behalf of the Trump campaign?" Benson asked Giuliani.

"Correct," he said, according to the Post.

Read more here.

Michael Strahan offers Clemson Tigers 'proper meal' after Trump dinner

Just a day after the Clemson Tigers dined on fast food at the White House, former NFL star and "Good Morning America" host Michael Strahan offered to give the college football champs a "proper meal."

>> Trump serves fast-food smorgasbord to Clemson Tigers during White House celebration

"I would like to invite the Clemson Tiger football team here for a great meal," Strahan said during Tuesday's broadcast. "Come out here, everybody. Whoever can make it, we'll hook you up with lobster. ... Whatever you want, we're gonna take care of you."

>> Read more trending news 

Co-host Sara Haines suggested they add caviar to the menu.

"Per egg is a lot of money," she said. "Are you paying? We don't have a lot of money."

"It's out of my pocket," Strahan replied. "I've got you guys." 

>> Watch the clip here

Earlier that morning, President Donald Trump tweeted that he served the football team fast food "because of the shutdown" and personally paid for the spread.

>> Check out a video from the dinner below

Trump family sends Christmas card to teen with terminal cancer

A cancer-stricken Pennsylvania boy who wished for Christmas cards from around the world has received a holiday greeting from the president himself.

>> Read more trending news 

>> On WPXI.com: Terminally ill teen to raise money for other sick kids by playing video games online

According to Explore Clarion and the Centre Daily Times, the request from Reynoldsville teen Maddox Hyde, who is terminally ill with neuroblastoma, went viral over the holidays. As of Christmas Eve, the 14-year-old had received more than 100,000 cards, gifts and letters, many from high-profile supporters such as former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Pittsburgh Steelers and "Star Trek" actor William Shatner.

>> See Shatner's tweet here

President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and their son, Barron, are the latest big names to show their support for Maddox. Maddox's stepfather, Steve Potter, took to Facebook on Friday to share a photo of a green-and-gold Christmas card signed by the first family.

>> See the card here

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

Want to send Maddox a card? You can mail it to 333 Ohio St., Reynoldsville, PA 15851.

Read more here or here.

Trump responds to Mitt Romney op-ed: 'I won big, and he didn't'

President Donald Trump took to Twitter early Wednesday to respond to a blistering Washington Post op-ed in which incoming Republican Sen. Mitt Romney criticized Trump’s character.

Here are the latest updates:

Update 8:04 a.m. EST Jan. 2: President Donald Trump responded to Romney’s editorial in a tweet Wednesday morning.

“Here we go with Mitt Romney, but so fast! Question will be, is he a Flake?” Trump tweeted, likely referring to departing Republican Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona. “I hope not. Would much prefer that Mitt focus on Border Security and so many other things where he can be helpful. I won big, and he didn’t. He should be happy for all Republicans. Be a TEAM player & WIN!”

>> See the tweet here

Original report: Former Republican presidential nominee and incoming U.S. Sen. Mitt Romney slammed President Donald Trump's character Tuesday in a blistering op-ed for the Washington Post.

"It is well known that Donald Trump was not my choice for the Republican presidential nomination," the frequent Trump critic wrote. "After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not."

>> Read the op-ed here

But Romney – who lauded the president's appointments of former Chief of Staff John Kelly, former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and other officials who have since left the administration – said he had hoped that Trump would "rise to the occasion" after the 2016 election.

That hasn’t happened, Romney said.

“His conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions this month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office," Romney wrote.

Romney went on to say that presidents must have "honesty and integrity."

>> Read more trending news 

"As a nation, we have been blessed with presidents who have called on the greatness of the American spirit," he continued. "With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring."

As of early Wednesday, Trump had not commented on the piece, but his 2020 campaign manager, Brad Parscale, defended the president on Twitter.

"The truth is @MittRomney lacked the ability to save this nation," Parscale tweeted. "@realDonaldTrump has saved it. Jealousy is a drink best served warm and Romney just proved it. So sad, I wish everyone had the courage @realDonaldTrump had."

>> Read the tweet here

Social Security checks to increase in January

Retirees may experience a significant increase in the amount of money they receive from Social Security in 2019, according to the Social Security Administration.

>> On AJC.com: Will Social Security checks be affected by possible partial government shutdown?

The United States Social Security Administration’s new 2.8 percent cost-of-living adjustment will add approximately $39 per month (or $468 per year) for the average beneficiary and $73 per month for folks who retire at full retirement age.

About 67 million Social Security and Supplemental Security Income beneficiaries will be affected in the largest boost since 2012.

>> Read more trending news 

In 2018, cost-of-living was adjusted at 2 percent “but was largely perceived to be offset by increases in Medicare costs,” according to FOX Business.

The standard monthly premium for Medicare Part B enrollees in 2019 will increase by $1.50 per month, totaling an annual cost of $135.50 from $134 in 2018.

More information about Medicare premiums and deductibles at cms.gov.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >
 

Amazon Alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!